The present church goes back to 1907 and was built on the site of the ruined chapel that had survived the Beggar protests and the Siege of Ostend (1601-1604). The wooden furniture dates from the period 1725-1775. The wainscotting in oak is a classic example of the Louis XVI style. The pulpit (1727), the beautiful confessionals, the Stations of the Cross by the 19th century Bruges painter Dobbelaere, the precious tabernacle and the antique choir stalls deserve close attention. The antique sacristy cupboards (1750-1788) contain many treasures. The beautiful monstrance was cast by the Ghent worker in precious metals Pieter Van Syghen in 1644. The elegant organ of 1750 by Andries Jacobus Berger is one of the finest pieces.
Copyright: All rights reserved