Menen's town hall is actually an age-old square complex consisting of several buildings located in the middle of the market square (Grote Markt). Through the centuries, it has been repeatedly devastated and altered. The present town hall building was established in 1782, when the Austrian Habsburgers ruled over the Southern Netherlands. This date is carved in Roman numerals on the town hall fronton. The two sculptures on top of the fronton symbolize, on the left, the administrative power, and, on the right, the judicial power. The façade is in a simple and austere classical style. The Cloth Hall and the Mansion (landhuis) were also part of the town hall complex. The Cloth Hall was situated in the Ieperstraat, behind the belfry.
Copyright: All rights reserved
Grote Markt 1