This cross from 1897 stands behind the Sint-Joriskerk in Wildenburg. The cemetery should be here , but...
One would have liked to have had a cemetery around the church next to the old castle 't Blauwhuis .
Baron Conrad van der Bruggen disagreed because he would always have a view of the cemetery. He proposed that the cemetery be returned , and the government erected the first cemetery cross in 1897 , now opposite the present cemetery.
Eventually , Baron van der Bruggen donated a piece of land to the church a little further away , and again there was resistance. But Pastor Canepeel dedicated the cemetery and the parishioners were buried there. The first burial was that of Maria Ludovica Deneweth, Sister of the Order Maidens of Mary. In 1905 the cemetery and the road leading to it were given to the church factory and in 1906 Baron Maurits van der Bruggen gave permission to use the path "De Varens" for the funeral procession.
Source: Willem Vandenameele
More about this place of interest
<iframe src="https://plugin.routeyou.com/poiviewer/free/?language=en&params.poi.id=8428963" width="100%" height="600" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>