The St. Lawrence Market South building is a major public market building in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. It is located on the southwest corner of Front and Lower Jarvis Streets. The south building is located at the corner of Lower Jarvis and Front Street. It, along with the St. Lawrence Market North and St. Lawrence Hall comprise the St. Lawrence Market complex. The current building was opened in 1902, and incorporated the 1845 Toronto City Hall building into the structure. The building was restored during the 1970s.
The building has two main floors. The upper floor is the primary space. The upper floor extends the full length of the building. It is one large open space with the large overhanging roof structure, and windows on each side. The lower level is partly underground, opening to the outdoors on the south end of the building. The lower floor does not extend the full length of the building. The market is located on the edge of the former lake shore, and the elevation drops over 10 feet between the north and south ends. The south end of the lower floor opens to ground level at The Esplanade street. Surrounding the building along the east, west and south sides is a mezzanine. Seating and some tables are available.
Copyright: CC 3.0