Ravenscrag was a mansion built between 1860 and 1863 in the Golden Square Mile of Montreal, Quebec, for Sir Hugh Allan. In 1940, his son, Sir Montague Allan, donated the property to the Royal Victoria Hospital for use as a medical facility, when its famously sumptuous interior was completely stripped and gutted. Today the building is known as the Allan Memorial Institute and is part of the McGill University Faculty of Medicine. It stands on Pine Avenue at the top of McTavish Street on the slopes of Mount Royal.
On its completion, the mansion of 72 rooms excelled "in size and cost any dwelling-house in Canada," exceeding Dundurn Castle, built by Sir Allan Napier MacNab in 1835. Although reduced in size and lacking its former grandeur, Ravenscrag continues to dominate what remains of the Golden Square Mile today.
Copyright: CC 3.0