Glendon College is a federated campus of York University in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. An internationally oriented, bilingual liberal arts college with 84 full-time faculty members and a student population of about 2,700, Glendon is located in midtown Toronto's Lawrence Park neighbourhood. The college was founded as the first permanent establishment of York University when it began academic operation under the mentorship of the University of Toronto in September 1960. Under the York University Act 1959 legislation, York was once an affiliated institution of the University of Toronto, where the first cohort of faculty and students originally utilized the Falconer Hall building as a temporary home before relocating north of the St. George campus to Glendon Hall — an estate that was willed by E.R. Wood for post-secondary purposes.
In 1962, a landlot grant was offered by the Province of Ontario to build a new campus, which eventually ceased the bilateral partnership between the two institutions. York University became an independent institution, however, Glendon refused to transfer to Keele, as the University of Toronto had no interest in reacquiring or maintaining the donated Wood property. Murray G. Ross and diplomat Escott Reid, who mutually proposed a novel plan for the college to educate students for fields in civil service, governance and academia, were appointed president and principal in 1959 and 1965, respectively. In 1966, the college was officially inaugurated by Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson with the objective for Glendon to become a fully bilingual institution. Formally, Glendon is one of York's 11 faculties. It was modelled on Swarthmore College.
Copyright: CC 3.0