Due to its strategic placement overlooking the harbour, fortifications were built on the hill beginning in the mid 17th century.
The final battle of the Seven Years' War in North America was fought in 1762 at the Battle of Signal Hill, in which the French surrendered St. John's to a British force under the command of Lt. Colonel William Amherst. Lt. Colonel Amherst renamed what was then known as "The Lookout" as "Signal Hill," because of the signalling that took place upon its summit from its flagmast. Flag communication between land and sea would take place there from the 17th century until 1960.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
© 2006-2018 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com