Niederlahnstein is situated on the right bank of the Rhine. In 1905, it had a population of 4,351 people. By 1939, this had grown to 6,812. It has two Roman Catholic churches. In 1911, the chief industries were the making of machinery and shipbuilding. Niederlahnstein obtained civic rights in 1332, and was until 1803 on the territory of the elector of Trier. Here on 1 January 1814 a part of the Russian army crossed the Rhine. In the vicinity are the Johanniskirche, of a Romanesque design, and the Allerheiligenberg, whereon stands a chapel, once a famous place of pilgrimage.
The Johanniskirche was constructed from 1130 to 1136. It is the oldest gallery church in the Middle Rhine region. The church building, which is situated directly on a bank of the Rhine, was an important example for the development of church buildings in the Middle Rhine region.
Copyright: CC 3.0