Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Deutschland, Berlin, Berlin
Number of texts: 3
The Soviet War Memorial is a vast war memorial and military cemetery in Berlin’s Treptower Park. It was built to the design of the Soviet architect Yakov Belopolsky to commemorate 5,000 of the 80,000 Soviet soldiers who fell in the Battle of Berlin in April–May 1945. It opened four years after World War II on May 8, 1949. The Memorial served as the central war memorial of East Germany.
The prominent feature of the park is the Soviet War Memorial (sometimes translated as the “Soviet Cenotaph”), built to the design of the Soviet architect Yakov Belopolsky to commemorate the 20,000 Soviet soldiers who fell in the Battle of Berlin in April-May 1945. The statue of the Soviet soldier holding a child and stamping on a crushed Swastika.
The Soviet Memorial in Treptower Park was established between 1946 and 1949 as a monumental burial site for 5,000 Red Army soldiers who had died in battle. The design was by an artists’ collective made up of Yakov S. Belopolski (architect), Yevgeni W. Vuchetich (sculptor), Alexander A. Gorpenko (painter), and the engineer Sarra S. Valerius.