The Deutsch-Amerikanisches Institut Tübingen is a cultural institution, formerly known as the Amerika-Haus .
The first German-American Institutes or Amerikahäuser in Germany were founded in 1946, one year after the end of the Second World War. At first, they were called "U.S. Information Centers" and were basically free libraries with both American and German books and magazines, before they extended their activities to exhibitions and "lecture discussions" and until 1956 partially also served the rural areas with so-called "bookmobiles". The information centers were under the supervision of the US Army's Information Control Division, that was responsible for the "re-democratization-programs". The Information Control Division, essentially, evolved out of the Psychological Warfare Division.
Copyright: CC 3.0