Wuppertal-Barmen station is a station in the city of Wuppertal in the German state of North Rhine-Westphalia on the Elberfeld–Dortmund railway. Its entrance building is protected as a monument. It was Barmen Hauptbahnhof prior to Barmen's incorporation in Wuppertal in 1929. Before the Second World War it was an important stop for express trains and had substantial freight traffic. Its importance declined after the war in favour of Oberbarmen and since the renaming of the Elberfeld station as Wuppertal Hauptbahnhof. The Opernhaus Wuppertal is nearby.
The building is a rectangular construction of Muschelkalk stone in neoclassical style, with pilasters and arched windows. Originally it had projecting wings at each end with Ionic columns, but since the war only the western one is preserved. This portal wing is topped by a flat triangular tympanum and has tall rectangular windows and oculi in the panels below the beams. In the tympanum there is a small semi-circular window. The central axis is adorned by a clock, with the letters of "Wuppertal-Barmen" replacing the numbers.
Copyright: CC 3.0