Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Deutschland, Saalekreis
Number of texts: 1
Merseburg Cathedral (German: Merseburger Dom) is the proto-cathedral of the former Bishopric of Merseburg in Merseburg, Germany. Construction on the Gothic cathedral was begun by Bishop Thietmar of Merseburg in 1015. It was consecrated in 1021 in the presence of Henry II. The cathedral was renovated in the Renaissance style from 1510-17. It is considered an artistic and historical highlight in southern Saxony-Anhalt. Since the Reformation it hasn’t been the seat of a bishop anymore. The church is now owned and used by a Lutheran congregation within the Evangelical Church in Middle Germany. Merseburg Cathedral is known in musical circles for its large romantic organ, built by Friedrich Ladegast in the mid-19th century.