Glienicke Palace (German: Schloss Glienicke) is located on the Island of Berlin-Wannsee, near the Glienicke Bridge, on the B1 across from the Glienicke Hunting Lodge. It was designed by Karl Friedrich Schinkel for Prince Carl of Prussia in 1826, The building, originally merely a cottage, was turned into a summer palace in the late classical style. Particularly striking are two golden lion statues in front of the frontage, which were also designed by Schinkel. The lions are versions of the Medici lions from the Villa Medici. In the palace are antique objets d'art, which the Prince brought back from his trips. The palace's park is now called the Volkspark Glienicke. The palace and park are UNESCO World Heritage sites as part of the Palaces and Parks of Potsdam and Berlin since 1990.
Copyright: CC 3.0