Billmuthausen was a village in Germany, founded in 1340. It was destroyed by the East German authorities in 1978 as it stood too close to the Inner German border , the border between the post-war states of East and West Germany. It lay in the extreme south of Thuringia in the Heldburger Land in the district of Hildburghausen, only five hundred meters away from the Thuringian-Bavarian border. In January 1965, the authorities destroyed the small, very old village church. In September 1978, the last family left the village, after which all the buildings in the village were demolished and the land leveled.
Billmuthausen is first mentioned in historical records in 1340 under the name of Billmuthehusen and in 1528 under the name of Bylmethausen. In 1840, the village had 14 households, a mill and a church. A decade later, the village's population stood at 68.
Copyright: CC 3.0