The Botanischer Garten der TU Darmstadt , also known as the Botanischer Garten Darmstadt, is a botanical garden maintained by the Darmstadt University of Technology. It is located at Schnittspahnstrasse 1 - 5, Darmstadt, Hessen, Germany, and open daily without charge.
The garden dates to 1814 when Johannes Hess proposed creating a botanical garden on newly acquired ground in front of Residenzschloss Darmstadt. It contained primarily native, herbaceous plants in a scientific arrangement. Soon the site proved inadequate, and in 1829-1830 moved to the grounds of the Bosquett mansion, now the Herrngarten, where it remained until 1838, then moved again to a third location in the area of today's Mercksplatzes until 1848. It was then relocated to the area of Wilhelminenplatzes from 1849-1863, where plants were cultivated in two greenhouses. When the Neuen Palais was constructed on this site, the garden was moved again to a one-hectare leased plot in the Meiereipark on Frankfurter Straße. Today's site was finally acquired in 1874 at government expense. Under the direction of Leopold Dippel , a professor at the Technical University in the field of cells and tissue, the garden acquired a fine collection of exotic trees. It became affiliated with the Technical University of Darmstadt in 1897.
Copyright: CC 3.0