Frederiksdal takes its name after King Frederick III who in 1668 acquired the land which had been the site of a copper mill, Hjortholm Mill, since 1650. The king had plans to build a large maison de plaisance in the grounds but died in 1780 and his son Christian V abandoned the project. Frederick IV ceded the estate to his sister, Princess Sophia Hedwig, and she began the construction of a house which for unknown reasons bore a striking resemblance with Ørholm Manor on the island of Funen, but it was never completed.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
Capital Region, Denmark
© 2006-2018 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com