Holmens Cemetery (Danish: Holmens Kirkegård) is the oldest cemetery still in use in Copenhagen, Denmark. It was first located next to the naval Church of Holmen in the city centre but relocated to its current site on Dag Hammarskjölds Allé in the Østerbro district in 1666. The cemetery originally served as a burial site for indigent sailors in royal service and their families, complementing the military Garnisons Cemetery, from 1711 located on a neighbouring site.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
Capital Region, Denmark
© 2006-2018 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com