Plaza Mayor de Almagro is a town square located in the city of Almagro, Castile-La Mancha, Spain. Its has probably originated from a small mooring castle estimated by historians to be today's the Hermitage of San Juan. It was bestowed by Gonzalo Yáñez de Noboa, IX master of the Order of Calatrava in 1213, and referred by Ferdinand III in 1222. Capital of the Calatravos and of all those who later called it Campo de Calatrava, it soon reached such a strength that King Alfonso X the Wise established a Cortes Generales there in 1273.
Copyright: CC 3.0