Source: Top image: Guinart Pharmacy current facade. Bottom image: Inside Franquesa Pharmacy, 1924.
On 22 October, 1511, La Concòrdia dels Apotecaris de Barcelona was published in Barcelona. This book standardised all the formulas that pharmacists utilized for their concoctions made from plants, animals and minerals. La Concòrdia was the first pharmacopoeia published in Spain and the second in the world. Even today there is a copy at the Faculty of Pharmacy of the University of Barcelona. Sant Andreu had a couple of pharmacies established in the 19th century, a time when these establishments not only sold drugs but also created them.
Franquesa Pharmacy was inaugurated in November, 1842. Despite having lost its original facade, the current pharmacy retains the Elizabethan-style furniture made with Melis pinewood in 1882 by the father of one of the pharmacists. It also displays the National Cash Register, ceramic nineteenth-century albarelos, the "cordialer" with its hand-painted glass jars and chemist instruments over a hundred years old. To this day, creams and shampoos from plants are still produced in this pharmacy.
Vídeo sobre la Farmàcia Franquesa. [in Catalan]
More about this place of interest
<iframe src="https://plugin.routeyou.com/poiviewer/free/?language=en&params.poi.id=2345216" width="100%" height="600" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>