Places of Interest nearby
Location address: France, Languedoc-Roussillon, Aigues-Mortes
Number of texts: 6
From 1575 to 1622, Aigues-Mortes was one of the eight safe havens granted to the Protestants. The revocation of the Edict of Nantes in 1685 caused severe repression of Protestantism, which was marked in Languedoc and the Cévennes in the early 18th century by the “Camisard War”. Like other towers in the town, from 1686 onwards, the Constance Tower was used as a prison for the Huguenots who refused to convert to Roman Catholicism. In 1703, Abraham Mazel, leader of the Camisards, managed to escape with sixteen companions.
Aigues-Mortes means ‘dead waters’. These dead waters refer to the vast expanse of salt evaporation ponds built in this area. They come up to the medieval city walls of Aigues-Mortes surrounding the city. Since Roman times this area was already used to extract salt from the marshes.
Local products to taste from Aigues-Mortes are wine, asparagus and sea salt. The sea salt is collected in the salt marshes just next to the city.
Aigues-Mortes (Occitan: Aigas Mòrtas, is a French commune in the Gard department in the Languedoc-Roussillon region of southern France.
Aigues-Mortes was known in the 10th century as “Ayga Mortas” or dead waters.