The tower was a main entrance gate through the swamps towards Aigues-Mortes. The gate guarded access to the city and to the kingdom of King Louis IX. The tower dates from 1272. The construction was ordered by King Louis IX, the founder of Aigues-Mortes. It sits about 3 km from the city of Aigues-Mortes. King Louis IX took charge of the 7th crusade and left from Aigues-Mortes.