The Bass Rock, or simply the Bass , is an island in the outer part of the Firth of Forth in the east of Scotland. Approximately 2 km offshore, and 5 km north-east of North Berwick, it is a steep-sided volcanic rock, 107 m at its highest point, and is home to a large colony of gannets. The rock is uninhabited, but historically has been settled by an early Christian hermit, and later was the site of an important castle, which after the Commonwealth period was used as a prison. The island belongs to Hew Hamilton-Dalrymple, whose family acquired it in 1706, and before to the Lauder family for almost six centuries. The Bass Rock Lighthouse was constructed on the rock in 1902, and the remains of an ancient chapel survive.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
East Lothian, United Kingdom
More about this place of interest
This place of interest on your website
<iframe src="https://plugin.routeyou.com/poiviewer/free/?language=en&params.poi.id=1528809" width="100%" height="600" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Try this feature for free with a RouteYou Plus trial subscription.