Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United Kingdom, Oxford
Number of texts: 2
The Indian Institute in central Oxford, England is located at the north end of Catte Street on the corner with Holywell Street and facing down Broad Street from the east. Sir Monier Monier-Williams started the Institute at Oxford in 1883 to provide training for the Indian Civil Services.
The Indian Institute Library is a dependent library of the Bodleian and part of the University of Oxford in Oxford, England. Opened in 1886, the library specialises in the history and culture of South Asia, Tibet and the Himalayas. The Indian Institute and its library were originally based in the building now occupied by the History Faculty Library, on the corner of Holywell and Catte Street. (The History Faculty moved to a location on George Street in 2007, although the History Faculty Library remained in the old Indian Institute building) Traces of the building’s original function are still visible, including the gilded weathervane which depicts an elephant with a howdah.