This 365-acre (1,480,000 m2) park is situated on the site of a former spoil tip of the former Betteshanger Colliery, one of the largest collieries in Kent. The colliery opened in 1924-30 and closed in 1989. The spoil tip, was located to the north east of the former colliery. The original area (before the spoil tip) was known as Foulmead Marsh and the community (with help from Dover District Council) chose the name of the new park to be - Fowlmead (Fowl – bird, Mead - meadow).
Copyright: CC 3.0