White City Stadium was built in White City, London, for the 1908 Summer Olympics and is often seen as the precursor to the modern seater stadium and noted for hosting the finish of the first modern distance marathon. It also hosted swimming, speedway and a match at the 1966 World Cup, before the stadium was demolished in 1985. It was the first Olympic Stadium in the UK. From 1927 until 1984 it was the premier venue for greyhound racing hosting the English Greyhound Derby.
Designed by the engineer J. J. Webster and completed in 10 months by George Wimpey, on the site of the Franco-British Exhibition, this stadium with a seating capacity of 68,000 was opened by King Edward VII on 27 April 1908 after the first stanchion had been placed in position by Lady Desborough on 2 August 1907. The cost of construction was £60,000. Upon completion, the stadium had a running track 24 ft wide and three laps to the mile ; outside there was a 35-foot-wide , 660-yard cycle track. The infield included a swimming and diving pool.
Copyright: CC 3.0
Hammersmith and Fulham