Places of Interest nearby
Location address: United Kingdom, Saint Pierre du Bois
Number of texts: 1
Fort Saumarez is a Martello tower in Saint Peter, Guernsey, on a headland that forms the northern tip of L’Erée and extends to the Lihou causeway. It was constructed in 1804 on the site of an existing battery after the onset of the Napoleonic Wars, and during the tenure (1803-1813) of Lieutenant Governor General Sir John Doyle. Doyle named the tower for the Guernsey native and renowned Royal Navy Captain, Sir James Saumarez, who at the time was commander of British naval forces in the Channel Islands. To simplify matters, Doyle had a local builder named Gray construct the tower, and two others, see below, under the rubric of “fieldworks”, thereby bypassing the Ordnance Corps.