Places of Interest nearby
Number of texts: 3
Neokastro looks out over the major entrance of Navarino Bay or Megalo Perasma. It was built here to be abel to shoot from this spot to the shipt trying to pass the entrance. There was also a plan to put a small fotress and canon on the other side, at the island of Tsichli-Baba, so the whole entrance range could be covered.
Neokastro is well fortified to the sea, but not too much to the land. When the Turks built it, they were not expecting to get attacked by land, because they had that well under control.
The Neokastro, built on the rocks, at the south entrance of the harbor, began its construction in 1572 by the Turks. The visitor can see the Acropolis of the castle, the Temple of Metamorphosis Sotiros and the collection of the French Rene Paux,a philellenist, which is at the left of the today’s entrance of the castle, a building made of stone, known as the command post of Maizon. In the five years between 1982-1987, Niokastro was renovated throughout its entire area and came into operation, inside the castle, the Hellenic Center for Underwater Archeology of Pylos.
In the castle there was no water and works had to be made that would ensure the continued water provision of the castle. Tanks were built into the castle and two reservoirs that were meeting at the Kamares place and providing water to the fort through pipelines were placed. Apart from the Kamares, there are parts of aqueducts in the region of Cheimarou Xeria and in Ag.Constantine, near the village Handrinos, all, on the way to Kalamata.