| | Public
Kea ia also called the Burnt Island. 14 eruptions were recorded between 198 BC and 1950 A.D..
It is located in the middle of the caldera, indicating that the volcano is still active.
The caldera was created in 1450 BC after a major eruption creating a layer of pumice of 13 m thick on the island. The collapse of an area of 84 km² caused an enormous tidal wave of 250m high and a speed of 350 km/h. Some say that this tidal wave destroyed the great civilisation of Minos on Crete.