The Porto di Ripetta was a port in the city of Rome. It was situated on the banks of the River Tiber and was designed and built in 1704 by the Italian Baroque architect Alessandro Specchi. Located in front of the church of San Girolamo degli Schiavoni, its low walls with steps descended in sweeping scenographic curves from the street to the river. The port no longer exists but is known from engraved views, drawings and early photographs.
Situated on the left bank of the Tiber , this was the place to alight for those coming downriver; the Porto di Ripa Grande on the other bank in Trastevere served those coming up from the seaward side of the city.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
Via di Ripetta 157, 00186 Roma, Italy
© 2006-2019 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com