Public | Italian
The first Synagogue of Livorno, called Tempio Maggiore, date back to 1603, when was built a modest and simply one on project by Claudio Cogorano and Alessandro Pieroni; in the following years due to the growing of the Jews in town, about 3,000 persons at that time, it was essential an enlargement of the synagogue. The project to build a larger worship hall and the galleries was by Francesco Cantagallina in 1642. The Torah ark was built with inlaid coloured marbles on project by Isidoro Baratta from Carrara, it was surmounted by a silver crown with a topaz set on it. With the same technique was built the bimah and the ceiling was enriched by stuccoes, decorations and gilt.
The temple underwent to works of stability following the 1742 earthquake, it was built a second row of gallery for the women on project by Ignazio Fazzi; the Temple hall was 28 meters long and 26 meters width and was the second large synagogue after Amsterdam. On September 20, 1789 first evening of Rosh Hashanah 5550, according to the Hebrew calendar, the synagogue was inaugurated. In the 19th century other works of expansion were made and a new façade toward south was built, the two buildings placed by side were demolished. The synagogue was partially destroyed during World War II.
Copyright: Creative Commons 3.0
© 2006-2018 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com