Luxembourg City Hall is the city hall of Luxembourg City, in southern Luxembourg. The city hall is the centre of local government, including being used as the private office of the Mayor of Luxembourg City. Due to its position in Luxembourg's capital, it also regularly plays host to foreign dignitaries. It is located on the southwestern part of Place Guillaume II , the main square in the centre of the city.
Until 1795, the Place Guillaume II was home to a monastery of Franciscan monks, At the time, Luxembourg's town hall was the current Grand Ducal Palace, located just to the east of Place Guillaume II, on Krautmaart. The French invasion during the French Revolutionary War heralded a seizure of the monastery, and the beginning of the use of the Grand Ducal Palace for central government purposes. As a result, for three decades, the municipal headquarters were moved around the city, without adequate accommodation.
Copyright: CC 3.0