De Vrijheid is a tower mill in Beesd, Gelderland, Netherlands which was built in the 18th century and is in working order. The mill is listed as a Rijksmonument.
The first mill on this site was built the 14th century. It belonged to Mariënweerd Abbey. It was compulsory for the local farmers to take their grain to the mill to be ground. The mill was built in the 18th century. In 1826, it was sold to Franciscus Moot of Leerdam, South Holland. It remained in the ownership of the Moot family until 1841. The mill was then bought by Jacobus Pendraat, who sold it in 1856 to A.D. Van Buuren. In 1938, it was sold to the Baroness van Verschuer. During World War II, the mill was used to send signals to the Dutch resistance. This was done by the position that the sails were set at. In 1965, Baroness van Verschuer left the mill to her brother's children. This brought the mill under the ownership of the abbey again. The mill was restored in 1968-69, gaining its name at this time. The mill has been worked regularly since 2009. It is listed as a Rijksmonument, № 16467.
Copyright: CC 3.0