Het Oude Loo is a 15th-century castle on the estate of Het Loo Palace in Apeldoorn in the Netherlands. The castle was built as a hunting lodge and is surrounded by a moat. The castle is currently used by the Dutch Royal Family as a country house and guest residence. It is not open for the public.
The castle was built in the 15th century. In 1684, the castle and the surrounding land was bought by William III of Orange. On this land, he had Het Loo Palace built. The castle was used by the court as, among other things, an apothecary. In the 19th century the castle came into the hands of Louis Napoleon who filled up the moat. Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands had the castle and the moat restored by architect Pierre Cuypers. Since 1968, the castle has been owned by the Dutch state. In 1973, it became a national heritage site. The castle is currently used by the Dutch Royal Family as a country house and guest residence.
Copyright: CC 3.0