De Zwaan is a tower mill in Lienden, the Netherlands, which is in working order. The mill was built in 1644 and is listed as a Rijksmonument, number 25834.
De Zwaan was built in 1644 to replace an older post mill which had fallen down a year earlier. Both the older post mill and the new tower mill belonged to the heerlijkheid Lienden which was under the ownership of the lords, and later counts, of Culemborg. Through nobility and private owners the mill came into the possession of the Van Harn family in 1879. The mill was restored in 1940, 1970, 1976 after a storm had caused heavy damage and in 1990. The windmill must have had a tailpole for winding as parts for the tail were delivered during construction. There is also a wear line on the brickwork where a roller once supported the tail construction. The current internal winding winches resemble those fitted in windmills in Noord-Holland and not those in the older tower mills of Zeddam and Zevenaar. The Van Harns still own the windmill but it is operated by a volunteer miller.
Copyright: CC 3.0