The Moerdijk bridges in the Netherlands are bridges that connect the Island of Dordrecht with the Dutch province of North Brabant across the Hollands Diep. The first bridge was built at the end of the 19th century, and was a railway bridge. The second bridge was built in the 1930s for road traffic, and is currently part of the A16 motorway. This bridge was replaced in 1978 by a more modern, wider bridge. A second railroad bridge was finished in 2006, as part of the HSL-Zuid project.
In 1944, both the road and railway bridge were destroyed by the Germans, to prevent the Allied Forces from reaching South Holland.
Copyright: CC 3.0