Grote of Sint-Jacobskerk is a landmark Protestant church in The Hague, Netherlands. The building is located on the Torenstraat, named for its high tower. Together with the Binnenhof, it is one of the oldest buildings in The Hague. Members of the House of Orange-Nassau have been baptised and married there. The latest are Willem-Alexander of the Netherlands and his daughter Catharina-Amalia, Princess of Orange.
The Great, or St. James Church, was founded in the late 13th century, probably as a wooden church. The present church was build in stages, between the 14th and 16th century. First in the year 1337 sources speak of the “great church” , which is a typical historical indication of a brick structure. It has a fine vaulted interior, and contains some old stained glass, a carved wooden pulpit , a large organ and interesting sepulchral monuments, and 34 escutcheons of the knights of the Order of the Golden Fleece, placed here after the chapter of 1456. During excavations in 2009 archeologists determined that some basement walls were build with bricks which they could date between the year 1320 and 1350. Documents from the year 1399, referring to maintenance work on the church, show that by then the church was a brick construction.
Copyright: CC 3.0