De Prins van Oranje is a tower mill in Buren, Gelderland, Netherlands which was built in 1716 and has been restored to working order. The mill is listed as a Rijksmonument.
There was a windmill on the town wall at Buren in 1575, when it was burnt down. It was a post mill. Another post mill was built in 1577 to replace it. This mill appears on a drawing dated 1646/47 by Roelant Roghman and a painting by Jan Abrahamsz Beerstraaten of a slightly later date. The mill was in poor condition in 1716; it was demolished and replaced by a tower mill. The mill gets it name De Prins van Oranje from being owned from 1716-95 by the Count of Buren, a title now held by the Dutch Monarch. The tower mill was a corn mill and pearl barley mill.
Copyright: CC 3.0