De Prins van Oranje is a tower mill in Bredevoort, Gelderland, Netherlands which was built in 1870 and has beem restored to working order. The mill is listed as a Rijksmonument.
A post mill was built in 1644. It was replaced c.1700 by another post mill. That mill burnt down in 1868. De Prins van Oranje was built by millwright Giesbers of Winterswijk to replace it. Construction was delayed because the German bricklayers were called up for service during the Franco-Prussian War. The mill was built for Geert Willem Heusinkveld. It remained in the Heusinkveld family until 1920, when it was sold to Mhr. Navik. In 1930, one pair of sails was replaced by Patent sails. These were later replaced by Ten Have sails and all four sails had their leading edges streamlined with the Van Bussel system. The mill was restored in 1968. It was sold to Mhr. Woordes in 1973. The mill was stopped in 1990 because the sailstock was in poor condition. New sails were fitted in 1992 and the mill was returned to working order. De Prins van Oranje is listed as a Rijksmonument, № 6866.
Copyright: CC 3.0