Brooklyn Borough Hall was designed in 1835 by architect Gamaliel King, and constructed under the supervision of superintendent Stephen Haynes. It was completed in 1849 to be used as the City Hall of the City of Brooklyn. In January 1898 the independent City of Brooklyn was annexed into the City of New York and Kings County became the Borough of Brooklyn.
On February 26, 1895, waste paper caught fire and destroyed the cupola, the top floors of the building, and water damage ruined the walls and ceiling of the Common. The building was added to the National Register of Historic Places on 10 January 1980.