The Old '76 House (the '76 House) was a Dutch-style house built during the founding of Tappan, New York in 1686. In 1755 the building was expanded by the Mabie family to include additional space for a tavern. The earliest recorded Tappan town meetings were held in the '76 House and it remains the oldest example of public Dutch architecture in America. Tappan's earliest town records were kept at the tavern. These documents describe meetings of the town elders and provide details of the food and ale they consumed.
Copyright: CC 3.0