Edith Macy Conference Center is a conference and training facility owned by the Girl Scouts of the USA and is located in Briarcliff Manor, New York. The facility lies just outside Briarcliff Manor's boundaries, in the town of Mount Pleasant. The site has had four names: Camp Edith Macy - University In The Woods, Edith Macy Training School, Edith Macy Girl Scout National Center and since 1982, Edith Macy Conference Center. However, it is often simply referred to as Macy. The John J. Creedon Education Center and Camp Andree Clark are part of the complex. In 1926, Macy hosted the Girl Guides and Girl Scouts Fourth International Conference.
Edith Macy was the chair of the Girl Scout National Board of Directors from 1919 to 1925 and dreamed of a permanent Girl Scout training center. In 1925, V. Everit Macy donated land to be used as a national training school in memory of his wife. Camp Edith Macy - University In The Woods opened in May 1926 with approximately 25 adult members. Later that year, the fourth World Conference of the Girl Guiding and Girl Scouting Movement was held there. The school was known as Edith Macy Training School around the 1950s, where educational courses included Girl Scout administration, outdoor skills, arts and crafts with related field work, and world friendship. Further on the facility became known as the Edith Macy Girl Scout National Center. Work on the conference center started in 1980 and Edith Macy Conference Center was opened in 1982, with a 200-seat amphitheater. The facility is open to all organizations.
Copyright: CC 3.0