Fort Frederick was a fort in Albany, New York from 1676–1789. Sitting atop State Street Hill it replaced the earlier decaying Fort Orange along the Hudson River. The fort was named for Frederick Louis, Prince of Wales, son of King George II. The fort was referred to as Fort Albany in the 1936 novel Drums Along the Mohawk. Several historical markers have been placed west of the location of the fort.
After the English takeover of New Netherland, including Beverwyck which became Albany, the Duke of York and of Albany required a permanent garrison to keep the peace in Albany; therefore Fort Frederick was built atop State Street Hill in 1676 to replace Fort Orange and guard the approaches to Albany from the west. Whereas Fort Orange was constructed more as a trading post along the Hudson River this new fort was designed to protect Albany from the Native Americans to the west and by overlooking the riverside community from atop a steep hill it was a constant reminder of English rule over the dominant Dutch population. The fort was located at the intersection of Lodge and State streets, construction began in March and concluded in June. Originally a wooden stockade it consisted of two small buildings surrounded by a stockade, Ensign Silvester Salisbury was the first commander of the fort. The fort became property of the English Crown when the Duke of York and of Albany became King James II & VII.
Copyright: CC 3.0