Savoy Ballroom

POI

Public | FrenchGermanItalianSpanish

Source: Lukeholladay

Copyright: CC 3.0

The Savoy Ballroom was a medium sized ballroom for music and public dancing located at 596 Lenox Avenue, between 140th and 141st Streets in the Harlem neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. Lenox Avenue was the main thoroughfare through upper Harlem. Black poet Langston Hughes calls it the Heartbeat of Harlem in Juke Box Love Song, and he set his acclaimed work “Lenox Avenue: Midnight on the legendary street". The Savoy was one of many Harlem hot spots along Lenox, but it was the one to be called the “World’s Finest Ballroom”. It was in operation from March 12, 1926 to July 10, 1958, and as Barbara Englebert writes in her article 'Swinging at the Savoy', it was “ .. . a building,a geographic place, a ballroom, and the ‘soul’ of a neighborhood". It was opened and owned by white entrepreneur Jay Faggen and Jewish businessman Moe Gale. It was managed by African-American real estate business man Charles Buchanon. Buchanon sought to run a “luxury ballroom to accommodate the many thousands who wished to dance in an atmosphere of tasteful refinement, rather than in the small stuffy halls and the foul smelling, smoke laden cellar nightclubs. . .”

Source: Wikipedia.org

Copyright: CC 3.0

More information

Address

New York

Sponsored links

More about this place of interest

Routes nearby

Related channels

Sponsored links

© 2006-2017 RouteYou - www.routeyou.com