German submarine U-717 was a Type VIIC U-boat of Nazi Germany's Kriegsmarine during World War II. The submarine was laid down on 24 April 1942 at the H. C. Stülcken Sohn yard at Hamburg, launched on 20 February 1943, and commissioned on 19 May 1943 under the command of Oberleutnant zur See Siegfried von Rothkirch und Panthen. Attached to 5th U-boat Flotilla based at Kiel, U-717 completed her training period on 31 July 1944 and was assigned to front-line service.
German Type VIIC submarines were preceded by the shorter Type VIIB submarines. U-717 had a displacement of 769 tonnes when at the surface and 871 tonnes while submerged. She had a total length of 67.10 m , a pressure hull length of 50.50 m , a beam of 6.20 m , a height of 9.60 m , and a draught of 4.74 m . The submarine was powered by two Germaniawerft F46 four-stroke, six-cylinder supercharged diesel engines producing a total of 2,800 to 3,200 metric horsepower for use while surfaced, two Garbe, Lahmeyer & Co. RP 137/c double-acting electric motors producing a total of 750 metric horsepower for use while submerged. She had two shafts and two 1.23 m propellers. The boat was capable of operating at depths of up to 230 metres .
Copyright: CC 3.0