Places of Interest nearby
Location address: Österreich, Wien
Number of texts: 2
The Imperial Crown of the Holy Roman Empire (German: Reichskrone) was the hoop crown (German: Bügelkrone) of the Holy Roman Emperor from the 11th century to the dissolution of the Holy Roman Empire in 1806. The crown was used in the coronation of the King of the Romans, the title assumed by the Emperor-elect immediately after his election. It was made in the late 10th or early 11th centuries. Unlike many other crowns, it has an octagonal rather than a circular shape, and is constructed from eight hinged plates. The plate in the front of the crown is surmounted by a cross, with a single arch linking it to a plate at the rear of the crown. The crown is now exhibited at the Hofburg in Vienna.
The Imperial Crown of Austria (German: Österreichische Kaiserkrone) is the crown worn by Holy Roman Emperors from the House of Habsburg from the sixteenth century to 1806, when it became the crown of the Austrian Empire upon the dissolution of the Holy Roman Empire. The crown was originally the personal crown of Holy Roman Emperor Rudolf II, and is also known as the Crown of Emperor Rudolf II.