Places of Interest nearby
Location address: 1000, Brussel, Arduinkaai, 28-29
Number of texts: 1
This former depot of textile was build in 1926 by A. Warny, for the company Stiel & Rothschild, in an Art Deco style. Since 1998, the building is protected. Nowadays, the ARchive and Museum of Flemish Life, and the editorship of the Newspaper “De Morgen” are established in the building.
The situation of this depot refers to the commercial function of this area, close to the canal. The Arduinkaai was the south quay of the 17th century end dock of the canal to Willebroek. In 1827, the canal was prolonged to Charleroi, and the port function was moved. In 1910-11, the Brussels- Seaport was constructed outside the city. The dock of the Arduinkaai was filled in and planted with trees. The commercial function of the quarter remained. In the 1920s, a lot of wholesalers settled here, and Stiel & Rothschild was one of them.