This Art Deco building dates from the 1930s. It's nickname is "the sound fabric", for its unprecedented acoustic qualities. It's one of the first radio broadcasting studios in the world.
The architect Joseph Diongre won in 1934 the architecture contest of the NIR together wit Raymond Braillard.
In 1939 the building was used for the first time and it soon obtained fame all over the world for the quality of its studios.
In 1973, the National Radio Companies moved to Schaarbeek. The building deteriorated quickly, although it was protected in 1994 and in 1997, it was put on the UNESCO list with the most threatened buildings in the world. Luckily, it was saved in 1998 by a private organisation and today it is an important cultural centre with music festivals, concerts, films and debates.
More information: www.flagey.be.