The farm of "Houssoy" and its imposing "Square Tower" (Vezin)
Former centre of a landed domain resold in the 16th century by Jean de Houssoy to the Salmier family, the farm has been worked since 1929 by the d’Ans family. Located on the left of the main building, the tower dominates the landscape. This keep, a powerful square mass fortified with walls over a metre thick, is built out of ferruginous sandstone ashlar, a material found locally. In the past, this four-storey tower was surmounted by a slate roof. It has several small square windows confined by hewn stones and entry is through a semi-circular door. The square tower together with the farm and its fortifications were used as a means of protection, in the Middle Ages, for the inhabitants of Houssoy.
Copyright: All rights reserved
rue du Houssoi