The Neo-Gothic church of Saint Veerle dates from 1923 and replaces the ancient church which was destroyed along with the village during the battle of the Yser in 1914.The village was rebuilt between the Gent- Adinkerke railway and the Lampernisse- Lettenburg road.
In the church are several paintings, including “Saint Mark” and “Saint Paul,» from the early 18th century by the Flemish school and a 17th century tombstone. There is also a new altar lamp and two recently restored stained glass windows. The latter were in a pitiable state and required urgent restoration. On the outside these are protected by reinforced glass. The present organs,which incorporate some older components, are the work of Frederik Loncke and son (Esen).
Copyright: All rights reserved