The parish church of Saint Vedaste was originally Romanesque but was changed to a late Gothic market hall style with three naves in 1500.It was badly damaged in a fire started by the Gueux. The hexagonal turret with a staircase dates from 1754. The whole building was enlarged in the 19th century and renovated after WWI.
The altar dedicated to Saint Joseph and a side altar in painted wood and marble (18th century) are noteworthy. The church has two confessionals, a communion table with a depiction of the Eucharist, a monogram of the Virgin (1749) and 17th century baptismal fonts. There are also marble tombstones near the columns of the transept, and a number of paintings and sculptures among which are Saint Joseph with the Child and a bust of Saint Vedaste (both 18th century).
For history lovers, the plaques commemorating the murder of the priests by iconoclasts in 1567 are interesting.
On the west side of the church stands an 18th century Calvary with its crucified Christ.
Copyright: All rights reserved